Sunday, December 16, 2007

Stone Soup

Have you ever heard the story of the Stone Soup? Some friends ouf ours, Jeff & Heidi, invited us to their annual Stone Soup Christmas party. It was tonight. I didn't want to go. I worked all day, I was tired, and I just wanted to go home, sit down and relax. Jeff is one of Flyboy's co-workers at the flight school. And it just so happens that Flyboy's company party is tomorrow night. And all the same people were invited to both parties. Two nights in a row. So my thinking was this.....why not just have one party? Why two? It's Christmas time. Everyone has hectic schedules as it is. Why do we have to go to two parties with the same people? Well, Jeff's party wasn't a company party. It involved his friends, neighbors and his co-workers. And Jeff is a friend. We've been to several parties at his place. But I still didn't want to go. But it was important to Flyboy, so I knuckled down, buckled down and we went. And I'm glad I did.

Now back to the stone soup. They had three soup pots with boiling water and, yes, they really put stones in them. We were each to bring something to throw into the soup. Any ingredient we wanted. Meat, veggies, rice, seasoning. Anything our little hearts desired. I tried to think of something no one else would bring and decided on long grain wild rice. It was neat to see all the different things that were in the soups.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The blue pot was a beef soup. The black pot was pheasant. And the silver pot was turkey. All three had various veggies, noodles, rice, barley, sausage, etc., etc., etc. And they all tasted different. The beef was the best. It was a bit thicker and more flavorful. And the person who brought the beef, Katherine (Flyboy's boss), doesn't eat beef. And her parents are cattle ranchers. She gets all the beef she wants, but she doesn't eat it. She's really missing out. Her party is tomorrow night. I wonder what kind of food she's going to be serving? Hmmm.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Flyboy and I had a good time. As much as I didn't want to go, it was nice to get out and interact with other adults. It seems like all we do is work and sleep. Plus, it was nice to get to know his co-workers and their spouses a little better. I've met most of them in passing, but never really had any conversations with them. So tomorrow night's party should be fun. We're doing a white elephant gift exchange. That should be fun. I'll try to remember to take my camera so I can post some pictures.

1 comment:

dorothymae said...

Krinkle....love your blog! Stone Soup? That sounds like a great party theme...makes me want to have a soup party. And, your floors are beautiful, how's the tile coming?