Thursday, January 24, 2008

Teeth, Braces, Donuts, Oh My!

Today was a day with the girls. They all had their 6 month dentist checkup this morning. I'm so proud of them all. Actually, I'm proud of myself. You see, I used to be a dental assistant. I went to Vo-Tech for a year and spent 2 years working in the field. Not much to brag about. However, one of the things that has been imbedded in my brain ever since, is that if my children ever get a cavity, it is MY fault and not theirs. They are not responsible enough to know whether or not they've brushed their teeth properly or long enough. So ever since my first child sprouted teeth, I have been absolutely adament that they do a good job at brushing. If it's not good enough, I send them back to brush again. And again and again until I feel there are no more cavity bugs left on them. Yes, it annoys them and they fight me with everything they have. But it has paid off big time. You see, my girls are ages 8, 9, and almost 13. And they have NEVER had a single solitary cavity!!!! They have perfect checkups every time. So, as a reward, I take them to get a donut!!!! Yes, I reward them with sugar. They deserve it.

Teenage Drama Queen had an orthodontist appointment today. She got her braces on in August. Things are going great. She got pink bands on top and red on bottom. For Valentines Day, which is her favorite holiday. She had black/orange for Halloween, and green/red for Christmas. She really goes for the holiday themes. She was going to get her crushes favorite colors this time, but she doesn't know what they are. She became instant friends with this boy at the start of the school year and talked and joked with him daily. Until, the fateful day that she decided that she was crushing on him. Now she is terrified to talk to him. Poor girl. I remember those days. I was just like her. Too shy for my own good. Anyway, here's a picture of her getting her new pink bands on. She hates it when I snap random pictures of her. She's all into image right now and wants to always look perfect. Oh well. Perfect doesn't exist in my book.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Ed Hochhalter said...

Mm, donuts are a great reward. Hehe, seriously, you're pretty strict with brushing teeth but your work definitely pays off. Congrats to ya and the same to your kids. Looks like things went well with the braces and that's great as well.