Friday, January 30, 2009

Progress In Emily's Bedroom Part 2

Since Flyboy is on hitch in Louisiana right now, I decided to try and tackle the job of putting down the laminate flooring in Emily's bedroom by myself. I've been putting if off for about a week, afraid that I'd get myself into something that was over my head. But her bedroom isn't going to finish itself. And when Flyboy gets back next week, I want to get as much of the house done as we can. So I thought I'd help speed up the process.
Photobucket
Here, I've laid out my barrier and got my boards all sorted. There are 5 different pattern pieces that we have to try to mix up so the same boards aren't always next to each other. We do our best anyway.
Photobucket
I have to start in the closet and ran into my first obstacle. The door jam. I have to make a special cut in one of the boards to fit around that door jam. And I don't have the proper saw to do it. And I'm scared. I called Flyboy twice to get his advice before I tackled it.
Photobucket
I've put down my first row of boards (easy) and now I have to make the special cut. I'm a smart and talented girl. I can do this!
Photobucket
I used my miter saw (yes, it is MINE) to make the two side cuts. But I could only make small cuts because I didn't want them to extend too far. Then I used a hand saw to complete the side cuts. Once I got the sides done, I realized I couldn't use the hand saw to do the last cut because I couldn't turn the saw enough to do it. The length of the board interfered. So I decided to try one of my handy dandy box knives that I have laying around everywhere (remember, I work at a grocery store).
Photobucket
It took a while and I had to cut both sides of the board until I could break the piece out. Kind of like chopping down a tree. Only not. And it made my hand hurt. But.......
Photobucket
IT WORKED!!!!
Photobucket
This is as far as I've gotten. It's harder than it looks. I stopped because I got frustrated trying to get the boards to fit together. I will try again tomorrow. but it's really starting to look good. I absolutely LOVE the flooring I picked out. Don't you? And it looks good with the bright green!

No comments: