Friday, March 19, 2010

Day 6 – Jungle Gardens at Avery Island, Louisiana

On day 6, we spent the day at Jungle Gardens.  It is located on Avery Island.  Avery Island is where the Tabasco factory is.  The guy that invented Tabasco lived on the island and planted this garden and created a bird sanctuary.  We didn’t get to tour the factory because we spent the entire day at the gardens, which is 250 acres.  I really wasn’t that interested in going, but once we got in there, it was like paradise.  It was absolutely beautiful.  Completely different from anything I’ve ever seen before.  A definite must for anyone going to southern Louisiana.  I took a lot of pictures and would like to post them all so there will be 5 posts on the Jungle Gardens.  I hope you don’t get tired of the pictures, but we saw so many beautiful things, I want you to see them too.

road trip 2009 001

As soon as we drove in there, I felt like we were transported back to the 1800’s.  The moss covered trees were out of this world beautiful.  And everything was SOOOO green.  road trip 2009 003 road trip 2009 004 road trip 2009 005

Within the first 5 minutes, the girls spotted these creatures.  And since they aren’t afraid of the things that go bump in the night, they just had to touch and hold them.  They were huge.  And ugly.  And I did not touch or hold one. 

road trip 2009 006 road trip 2009 007   road trip 2009 010 road trip 2009 011road trip 2009 016 road trip 2009 017 road trip 2009 019

We found this path that was sort of hidden.  We are explorers so we decided to check it out.  It was very pretty.

road trip 2009 020 road trip 2009 021 road trip 2009 022

A lot of the trees were covered in this fluorescent green stuff.  I’m sure there’s a name for it, but I don’t know what it it.  It looks like spray paint, but it isn’t. It’s some kind of growth on the wood.   It is absolutely beautiful. 

road trip 2009 023 This little guy was face level and I about walked right into him.  We had to become contortionists to get by his web.  We didn’t want to ruin it.  Isn’t he a cute little feller?road trip 2009 026

Another little guy that Sarabeth caught.  Isn’t he adorable?  He was so tiny. 

road trip 2009 028

Tune in tomorrow for part 2 with more pictures.  I promise you won’t regret it.

1 comment:

CreativeMish said...

I've never seen a grasshopper that big or that color before. Love the spider. It kind of looks like a catface. I've heard about that mossy stuff.. Great pic's